Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The History of the Sewing Needle

I thought it would be interesting to research the history of the sewing needle just to see how it all started and how it relates to art.

I love to hand stitch there is something calming about it.  My mind wonders, I find myself in a peaceful state of mind.

I just finished my first Christmas stocking.  I was fun and I intend to make some more :)  They will be for sale on my Etsy.




Bone Sewing Needle
  • History dates back to 28000 B.C. The earliest known sewing needle is developed in Aurignacia. Hand crafted and made of bones, the needle has a split head instead of an eye.
  • The early needles were hand-made out of bone, over 17000 years ago by Western Europeans and Central Asians. It was used for sewing skins and furs.
  • 17500 B.C – The first needles with eyes emerge.
  • 7000 B.C – Copper needles are produced in Armenia.
  • 2500 B.C – Bronze needles are born.
  • 1195 B.C – Secret of hardening iron reaches Europe from India.
  • 500 B.C – The drawing plate is used for producing wire.
  • 60 A.D – Phrygier is credited with discovering embroidery.
  • 1200 A.D – The needle is advertised for the first time in China.
  • 1496 – Leonardo da Vinci constructs a machine to point sewing needles.
  • 1615 – Aachen shows the way by making needles from fine, pure steel.
  • 1730 – Stephan Beissel founds a needle factory in Aachen, Germany.
  • 1755 – First ever patent is awarded for a needle with an eye.
  • 1790 – Thomas Saint applies for a patent for a machine to sew shoes.
  • 1811 – Abel & Michael Morall are the first to construct a device for the pressing of eyes.
  • 1845 – Elias Howe & Singer invent the sewing machine.
http://www.sewingmantra.com/index.php/needles/history-of-sewing-needles/

No comments:

Post a Comment